Writers in CEGEPS
2019 - 2020
Call for Applications
Deadline: Tuesday, June 25, 2019
Writers who have already been approved for the Writers in CEGEPS program do not need to reapply.
The Quebec Writers’ Federation invites applications from published English-language writers to participate in the Writers-in-CEGEPs program of Quebec’s Secrétariat à la politique linguistique.
To participate, writers must live in Quebec and meet at least one of the following criteria:
- at least one book published with a recognized publisher;
- at least five texts published in recognized (peer-edited) journals (print or online);
- at least one screenplay for cinema or television produced by a producer recognized by the CALQ or SODEC;
- at least one dramatic work either published by a recognized publisher or performed by a professional company.
Participating writers receive a total honorarium of $500 per day for readings and lectures or writing workshops, $400 per day for meetings and discussions, or $200 for participation in a roundtable.
To participate in the Writers-in-CEGEPs program, you must be entered in the current repertoire.
If you are not currently in the repertoire and you want to apply:
To participate in the Writers-in-CEGEPs program, you must be entered in the current repertoire. To apply for the repertoire, please submit the following documents in line with the process described below:
Please note that meeting the eligibility requirements does not guarantee that you will be accepted.
1. Create a Submittable profile if you do not already have one.
2. Upload the following two documents:
2.1. A single PDF file that contains the following:
- Your literary c.v. (maximum 2 pages), including a description of your literary work; any work, projects, or personal background that are relevant to your writing; and relevant experience in mentoring, teaching, or facilitating creative writing or related activities.
- A description of your proposed activities including whether you prefer lectures and readings, writing workshops, meetings/discussions, or roundtable discussions; what literary and pedagogical activities your visit might include; your pedagogical and/or presentation approach; and any specifically appropriate courses or units.
- Any other biographical or critical material a CEGEP might use to promote your visit (e.g. reviews, interviews, links, etc.).
2.2 A single PDF file that includes a minimum of 25 pages of your published work from books or articles.
The submission period will close at 11:59 p.m. on June 25, 2019.
A selection committee composed of writers and teachers familiar with the CEGEP milieu will review the material. Note that this application requires a brief outline of the proposed pedagogical literary classroom activities.
All applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application at the end of the summer. Successful applicants will receive additional information at that time.
For more information, please visit the QWF website or contact the QWF office.
1200 Atwater, Suite 3, Westmount, QC H3Z 1X4
Telephone: (514) 933-0878
info [at] qwf [dot] org
The 2019 QWF Prize for Young Writers will be awarded to an emerging writer who is a resident of Quebec and who is between 16 and 24 years old, inclusively, as of June 14, 2019, the contest deadline.
The prize will be awarded for the best short story, poem, or work of creative nonfiction or narrative journalism written in English and published in an official literary publication in 2018. Work may be submitted either by the author or by the journal in which the submission was published, and there is no limit to the number of submissions per publication or writer. All work submitted must be the final, published version.
Rules and Regulations
- Maximum length for short stories and nonfiction is 4000 words. Maximum length of a poem is 100 lines.
- An emerging writer, for the purposes of this award, is one who has yet to publish a book.
- The writer must be at least 16 and under 25 at the time of the contest deadline.
- Official literary publications encompasses any print or online publication, which could include established literary journals, school or university newspapers, community blogs, magazines, anthologies, grassroots zines, or any other publication with a selection process The publication does not have to be Quebec-based.
- A Quebec resident writer is one whose main residence has been in Quebec for at least one year at the time of publication, and/or who has a strong ongoing proven connection to Quebec (for example, a long-time Quebec resident who is studying abroad).
- The submission must have been written in English (i.e., translations are not eligible).
- Three finalists will be selected by a jury of three. The names of all finalists will appear in carte blanche and on the QWF website. Winners will be announced at the annual QWF Literary Awards Gala, held in November 2019. The following prizes will be awarded:
- Grand prize: $1000 and, when rights allow, republication in carte blanche
- Second prize: $350
- Third prize: $150
All three prize winners will receive a one-year membership in the Quebec Writers’ Federation.
How to Submit
Prepare the following two files to upload:
- PDF of the table of contents of the print or online magazine/journal in which the poem/story/non-fiction piece appeared.
- PDF of the poem/story/non-fiction piece as it appeared in print or online.
These PDFs should be legible scans of print publications or screenshots of online publications. In the event that this is not possible, you may submit a PDF converted from the final edited version of the file.
Any inquiries about eligibility should be directed to Rachel McCrum, Membership and Communications Coordinator of the Quebec Writers’ Federation: firstname.lastname@example.org or 514-933-0878.