Quebec Writers’ Federation Seeks Communications and Outreach Assistant (six-week contract)
Deadline for applications: **EXTENDED DEADLINE - MIDNIGHT, SUNDAY, MAY 27, 2018**
The Quebec Writers’ Federation (QWF) seeks a reliable, detail-oriented, and motivated student for a six-week paid position in the QWF Office in the Atwater Library and Computer Centre, Westmount in July and August 2018. Under the supervision of the Coordinator of Membership Services and Communication, the successful applicant will be responsible for preparing and sending QWF online communications, as well as doing some research and writing (details below). The job would be particularly suitable for a post-secondary student in a related field of studies such as Literature, Community Development, or Information and Communications Management, and would provide invaluable career-related experience.
This position is open to full-time students aged from 15 to 30 years who intend to return to their studies in the next school year.
- Start date: Tuesday 3 July, 2018
- Length of contract: 6 weeks
- Hours: 30 hours a week, to be spread over 4 days, 10am – 5.30pm.
- Salary: $12.00/hour
- Collate, write and send the bi-monthly e-newsletter and e-communications to QWF members, and prepare and post social media updates to QWF’s Facebook and Twitter accounts.
- Answer phone and in-person queries, when possible.
- Research future Outreach Opportunities for literary programs and workshops in diverse, Indigenous, and minority communities as part of QWF’s ongoing commitment to creating more diverse engagement in working closely with minority communities across Quebec
- Work with the Coordinator of Membership Services and Communication to develop a program of Members’ events.
- If time allows, research and write updates for the QWF Literary Database of Quebec English-language authors.
- Must be a full-time student, between the ages of 15 and 30, who is returning to their studies in the 2018-2019 academic year.
- Must be able to work autonomously to organize and prioritize tasks.
- Must be detail-oriented and have an excellent command of written English
- Conversational French for telephone.
- Must demonstrate an ability to write, edit and proofread your own documents for accuracy and correct spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
- Experience with Facebook and Twitter.
- Experience with Mailchimp and Hootsuite.
- Familiarity with Quebec’s literary scene.
How to apply:
Please upload a single pdf file that includes a one-page (maximum) letter of interest, including one paragraph stating why you would be particularly interested in working with the QWF, and a c.v. of relevant experience.
Selected candidates must be available for interview on Monday, July 4 or Tuesday, July 5, 2018.
Deadline for applications: Extended to midnight, Sunday, May 27, 2018.
Funded by the Government of Canada,
The 2018 QWF Literary Prize for Young Writers will be awarded to an emerging writer who is a resident of Quebec and who is between 16 and 24 years old, inclusively, as of June 15, 2018, the contest deadline.
The prize will be awarded for the best short story, poem, or work of non-fiction written in English and published in an official literary publication in 2017. Work may be submitted either by the author or by the journal in which the submission was published, and there is no limit to the number of submissions per publication or writer. All work submitted must be the final, published version.
Rules and Regulations
- Maximum length for short stories and non-fiction is 4000 words. Maximum length of a poem is 100 lines.
- An emerging writer, for the purposes of this award, is one who has yet to publish a book.
- The writer must be at least 16 and under 25 at the time of the contest deadline.
- Official literary publications encompass print and online journals or magazines published by secondary schools, CEGEPS or universities, as long as there is a selection process involved; they also include recognized professional literary journals. The publication does not have to be Quebec-based.
- A Quebec resident writer is one whose main residence has been in Quebec for at least one year at the time of publication, and/or who has a strong ongoing proven connection to Quebec (for example, a long-time Quebec resident who is studying abroad).
- The submission must have been written in English (i.e., translations are not eligible).
- Three finalists will be selected by a jury of three. The names of all finalists will appear in carte blanche and on the QWF website. Winners will be announced at the annual QWF Literary Awards Gala, held in November 2018. The following prizes will be awarded:
- Grand prize: $1000 and, when rights allow, republication in carte blanche
- Second prize: $350
- Third prize: $150
All three prize winners will receive a one-year membership in the Quebec Writers’ Federation.
How to Submit
Prepare the following two files to upload:
- PDF of the table of contents of the print or online magazine/journal in which the poem/story/non-fiction piece appeared.
- PDF of the poem/story/non-fiction piece as it appeared in print or online.
These PDFs should be legible scans of print publications or screenshots of online publications. In the event that this is not possible, you may submit a PDF converted from the final edited version of the file.
Any inquiries about eligibility should be directed to Lori Schubert, Executive Director of the Quebec Writers’ Federation: firstname.lastname@example.org or 514-933-0878.